Monday, April 13, 2009

having fun is allowed!

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Life should be lived in the moment, not in fear. For the majority of my life, I was told to live my life in fear, and stay away from all things risky, spontaneous, or fun. As I matured, I realized I was taught wrong. I was taught to become an uptight woman who follows all the rules. That is not who I want to be. I want to be able to enjoy life. I don’t want to have to worry about every little thing.

I don’t think I should have to feel guilty for having fun in life. It’s normal to have friends and joke around. It’s normal to go out and have a drink sometimes. The social scene is something Indian parents never really experienced as individuals. I get it, but times have changed, and it is time to change with them.

A privilege of living in this world is being able to have experiences with others, make friends, develop relationships, see the world, and just enjoy life. The point is to make the most of it, and die with no regrets. Of course, you don’t know when life will be taken from you, so it’s best to just live everyday to the fullest.

Being at home is making it pretty hard for me to live by this philosophy...but I'm trying - by getting out of here as often as possible. My conscience is on a short leash right now, held by my parents and the Indian community. It would be nice to just not care, but somehow it's in my nature to care. I want to take control of my conscience! Any suggestions on how?

1 comment: